It’s January 1st and if you are not quite ready to give up on the holiday snacking, I have one more recipe for you. Added bonus to this one: great way to use up the random assortment of snacks that have accumulated over the holiday but somehow never quite gets finished!
So, first the recipe from the box. Classic Shreddies Mix is as follows:
1. Combine 3 cups of Shreddies, 2 cups of popped popcorn, 1 cup of small pretzels (or break up larger ones) and 1/2 of nuts (I went with peanuts) in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Melt 3 tbsp of margarine and add in 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp of seasoning salt (I used Hy’s).
3. Pour margarine mixture over the shreddies/popcorn/nut/pretzel mix and gently stir to coat.
4. Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes, continue to microwave until the Shreddies are crispy again.
This was quick, but honestly lacked some flavour. I was surprised that the recipe from the box didn’t have more “oompf” to it but I suppose the Shreddies do keep some their original flavour so they maybe that is the point?
I did a bit or research and combined a number of other recipes to come up with something with a bit more flavour. Also, it’s made in the slow cooker!
Because my slow cooker is enormous I increased the amount of stuff as well.
New Shreddies Mix Recipe:
1. Combine: 9 cups of assorted cereal (Shreddies, Chex, Cheerios – any cereal that isn’t already flavoured would be great in this) with 4 cups of popcorn, 1 cup of assorted nuts and 2 cups of small/broken up pretzels in the slow cooker. Try to keep the popcorn to the sides so that when you pour on the liquid it goes on the more solid snacks instead of saturating the popcorn.
2. Melt 6 Tbsp of margarine (or butter if you prefer) and then add in 2 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tsp of garlic power, 1/2 tsp of onion power and 2 tsp of Seasoning Salt (more if you are a big salt fan).
3. Pour/Drizzle the mixture over the snacks – mix gently to cover.
4. Turn the slow cooker on to low and let everything cook for about 3 hours, stirring regularly.
Serve and Enjoy! Great thing about using the slow cooker is that it doubles as a bowl for serving.
Store in an airtight container, keeps for a couple of days. Is it un-Canadian of me to say that I prefer Chex to Shreddies (in a snack mix)?.